6/29/09

My Mountain Man

I've been calling Rick my mountain man. He went camping/hiking with the boy scouts from church on a 30 mile hike in the mountains. Rick's pack weighed about 50 pounds...impressive huh? He was a little nervous about going. He's not much of a camper and hasn't done anything like that before. He earned his Eagle Scout at 14 years old and never looked back! I kept teasing him about his big trip. He was so funny about getting all his stuff together...all his little snacks were in baggies and labeled for each day. He even had a whistle which he informed me was very important to have in case he got lost...I couldn't stop laughing and he started getting ticked at me saying the "this is serious...people die out there". Thankfully he never needed the whistle. He was so worried about having enough food that his pack was really getting heavy because of all the food he had. I think his pack was about 10-15 pounds more that what it should have been. He was a little concerned but as he said, "I've ran marathons...I can handle it". And he did...although he did say it was a lot harder than he expected it to be and one of the hardest things he's done. I was really proud of him and he actually enjoyed the trip. Now, I have to say that this is the longest Rick and I have been apart since we got married. I think we've only been apart about 3 nights max. When I realized that, I started getting a little nervous about him leaving. The kids and I really missed him a lot. We were so happy when he came home. Thankfully he was able to shower before he came home but man was he scruffy looking from not shaving for 6 days!

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I laughed about the food in labeled baggies. What an organized guy! :)

LindaO said...

That's funny! I so wished you guys lived closer! I think we'd have tons of fun!