7/23/09

What did I get myself into??


For those who don't know, Rick is a runner. He has done 3 full marathons and is planning on running a 1/2 marathon with my brother this Thanksgiving and one of my sisters is on board now. Even the girls have run a few small races (we were so proud of them!). The pic I posted is of them in Nashville last year. Rick has always wanted me to get into running also..."come on, it can be something we do together"...to which I always reply, "WHY would I do that to myself????"...it looks like torture and requires WAY too much time commitment. And I have to say that I have NEVER been a runner. I have always played sports and like to do Yoga and classes at the gym but I have always hated to run (not that I really even tried it). Anyway, I really admire his determination. When he is training he is a man on a mission...nothing gets in the way of his training...he runs in the rain...at all hours of the day (I hate when he runs long runs late at night...he thinks it's funny that I worry about him like he can't protect himself but I still stay up until he gets home). He posts his running schedule on the fridge and marks off each day. Again, I really admire the motivation he has and what he has accomplished. I hate that I don't have the same drive when it comes to exercise. I want to want to run...but I don't want to run...you know what I mean??? Well, I have been fed up with my own excuses and I have been pumping myself up for weeks now to start running...I didn't say run marathons, I just said running. I waited until I was motivated enough to do it and then 2 days ago I just got up early and got ready to go run and Rick about had a heart attack when he came in the room and saw me ready to go. I could tell he was trying to play it cool and not act too excited. So, I went running. I ran a little more than a mile at a good pace. I used Rick's shuffle to listen to music, which helped a lot. I actually enjoyed the run. So, this morning I got up and went again (I think Rick was even more surprised than the first day). This time I ran a mile and a half in about 13 minutes...not bad. I was only planning on one mile but then kept pushing myself and made it all the way around the loop in our neighborhood. I have to say that I was very proud of myself (Rick is bursting at the seems). I am also so sore that it hurts to walk, and even worse when I squat to sit down...ouch. I've decided it is probably something I could learn to love, or at least like.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Wow! I'm impressed. For not being a runner, you've sure started out well. :)

Wendi said...

Oh, and I LOVE your new blog template. :)

Brett said...

Yeah Lori you can do it! I always hated running until my third child. It is a cleansing experience. I totally miss it! I actually dreamed I had my baby and went running the same day. I started on a treadmill. I liked being able to look at the time and do intervals. Gradually I worked my way to outdoor runs. I would never do a marathon! But I have done a sprint triatholon only a 5k in there with swimming and biking. I am now looking for another tri to do next summer. I should be back to myself by then.

Sarah said...

i don't even want to comment on you running, i'm going to go get a brownie now!