9/10/09

My First 5K

Rick was all about getting me to start doing races.  So, he found a 5K here in town on Labor Day morning that we decided to run together.  I had already run 3 miles a couple of times so I knew that I could at least make it through without dying.  I was going to shoot for a 9 minute/mile pace...that didn't happen, but I was close.  We did make it under 30 minutes...I ran so slow the first half worried that I would burn out half way through...then I realized how slow I was going so I sped up the second half of the race and had to sprint the last stretch to make it under 30 minutes.  Rick ran with me, what a nice guy.  Everytime I looked over at him he looked like he was barely running.  I kept wondering if it was more torturous for him to go slow than at his normal speed.  He didn't complain and was very supportive.  I actually enjoyed the race.  I was fine afterwards which only let me know I could have gone faster.  My kids were there with my mother-in-law, cheering me on.  I had my own cheering section at the finish line.  I can say now that I see why people get into running.  I'm not saying I want to do any long distances like Rick does, but maybe a 10K down the road. 

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment. And how cool that you ran it together! :)

Sarah said...

nice! hey i joined a gym, does that count as something?

congratulations runner girl

Brett said...

Way to go! Next up a sprint triathalon. That will get you hooked!