10/1/08

Way to go Mom...


Okay, so you have to understand my 7 year old daughter a little bit before I go into this story. Nina (nickname) is the middle child and she is a ball of fire. She says the funniest things and can be soooo sweet but let me tell you…she can try my patience like no other. I always tell my husband that God made her so cute so I wouldn’t kill her…that cute face is the only thing that has saved her on many occasions.

So, when my oldest daughter Auburn had to get glasses last spring, Nina was sooo jealous. She then wanted glasses so bad (did I mention she is a total pack rat and loves to collect any and everything). Anyway, she begins to ask, beg, plead for me to take her to get glasses. When I explain how things works she insists that she can’t see well at all and does indeed NEED glasses. I ignore her of course. So over the past 6-8 months she would bring it up every now and then and say she still needs glasses and can’t see and I would continue to ignore her…until last week.

Let me back up and say that Nina has had unexplained headaches for the past 2 years. (I know, I know, but it wasn’t as obvious back then as it is now) So last week she stayed home from school because of a bad headache and then she tells me, for the first time, that her head hurts AND her eyes hurt. That’s when I started asking her about her eyes a little more in depth. So, I finally take her to get an eye exam yesterday (you’d have thought she was going to Disney World). She couldn’t wipe the smile off her face…the only exception was when the “puff of air” went in her eye and she almost threw in the towel. Well, guess what? She not only needs glasses but her eyes are worse than Auburn’s!! “I told you Mom!”. So, after her exam she was deeply disappointed that she didn’t get the glasses on the spot and would have to wait a few days for them to be ready. Then she asks, “But Mom, what am I going to do until then? What about school and reading??” So I explain to her that she isn’t suddenly blind and that she will be just fine doing those things until her glasses come it. She also thinks that nobody will recognize her with glasses on…including her cousins and her siblings.

And I have to mention that when she did the initial sight test where you stand behind the line and cover one eye and try to read the letters on the far wall, she was saying she couldn’t see a thing except the top letter “E”. The second row was 2 letters and they were huge and yet she just couldn’t seem to make them out. The lady giving the exam found that quite funny…I guess I was looking concerned and the lady mouths to me, “They aren’t THAT bad”.

So, Nina picked out her glasses frames, with my help of course and she picked out her glasses case (her favorite part of the whole trip). I’m sure her case is now full of rocks, shells, buttons or one of her other “collections”. She assures me it won’t get lost before the glasses actually make it to the house…we’ll see about that.

No comments: