10/16/08

Going back to college...at 34.

So I had this great idea 1 ½ years ago that I would go back to college and finish my bachelors degree. Mind you, I was not done having kids when I decided to go back and finish. I just had this bright idea one day and then ran it by my husband, who is always very supportive…and actually he has always told me I should go back and get my degree.

So...I start back and after one week of school I am totally stressed out and freaking out about all the work involved (I’m only taking 2 classes at a time). I go to Rick and say I can’t handle this…I need to drop my classes…it was a terrible idea…(Unfortunately my husband is a very goal oriented person and now that he has me back in school he is determined for me to keep going.) So…he gives my argument no credit whatsoever and doesn’t let me quit. I pouted for a few days thinking it’s my life and I can quit if I want to and he doesn’t realize how hard being a stay-at-home-mom is…and then…half way through the semester I am thanking him for making me stick with it. And...we’ve gone through that same routine every semester. I love that man.

One thing I wasn’t expecting was that going back to college has made me feel so old! Around my friends and peers I’m feeling pretty good about myself…but these kids in college look like they are in high school. I’m like 16 years older than some of these kids! I’ve even gotten the “yes ma’am” treatment. I remember being in college and you always have that one “mom” in class that is going back to school after she’s had a few kids….un-huh, that’s me!

One good thing about being older is that I do so much better in school. I guess it’s all those extra years of life experience. I have made all A’s since being back in school and it does seem easier. Now, I must confess that my degree is an easy one…social work. I actually wanted to get my degree in psychology and become a family therapist. However, I found out from my college advisor that you can do the same thing with a social work degree and it is much easier to get into the masters program which is only 1 year. So, I switched and am happy with my decision. There are so many more options with social work. I would like to work with adolescence and young adults. I’ve also thought about being a marriage counselor. After my mom’s second divorce I went to therapy for about 2 years and it was the best thing I did for myself (I was 18 at the time). Since then, I've thought about becoming a therapist.

So, for all you mom’s who want to go back to school…I say go for it! It is hard and you get discouraged at times but it is very rewarding at the end of each semester. I want my degree so my kids will know it’s important to have an education…even if you end up never using it. I also want one just because I don’t want to feel like the loser without my degree among all my siblings (just kidding…sorta).

No comments: